Our People – Senior Management Team
Vanessa Brown, Interim CEO
I joined the Hospice as a staff nurse on the inpatient unit when it first opened in 1989 and after several role developments was appointed as Clinical Services Manager in October 2013. My role at the hospice enables me to support the staff who provide high quality care for the people of our local community and to work with my colleagues to ensure our high standards of care and support continue. I have a passion to ensure quality, patient-centred palliative care is provided for those who need it. I feel privileged to work with the local community who support us and never stop being amazed by the tremendous support we receive. Without this support we wouldn’t be able to run our services.
Dr. Graham Leng, Medical Director and Consultant in Palliative Care
Dr Leng is our Consultant in Palliative Medicine and has worked at the Hospice since 1992. Prior to this he was a GP in Willaston on the Wirral. He leads a small team of dedicated doctors providing care for patients at the Hospice and teaching for medical students from Liverpool University. He is an experienced acupuncturist and has a weekly acupuncture clinic for patients attending the Hospice. He is a Council member of the British Medical Acupuncture Society and regularly teaches on acupuncture training courses nationally. He has been chairman of the BMAS Education Committee and President of the Society from 2014 to 2016. He has published research and articles on the use of acupuncture in Palliative Care.
Abi Smith, Interim Director of Fundraising & Lottery
Abi joined the Hospice in February 2016, as Corporate Fundraising Manager and was recently appointed as the new Interim Director of Fundraising and Lottery. Abi is passionate about the Hospice movement and brings with her a wealth of experience from her previous role as Chief Executive at the Railway Benevolent Fund and 9 years at Claire House Children’s Hospice prior to that. Abi is an energetic and committed fundraiser and brings with her a clear strategy to lead the fundraising and lottery team that creates the best experience for our donors. She has been known to stand in a field in the pouring rain during the day and at night be attending a cocktail party, after getting changed in a toilet! Abi is thrilled to be part of Team Shepherd!
Yvonne Wood, Human Resources Manager
Yvonne joined the Hospice in 2006 as a HR Manager initially in a part time capacity until the role became full time in 2010. Her HR background was gained within commercial settings whilst at Boots the Chemist, Iceland Foods and as an interim for a short period at the Swansway Garage Group. “ I consider myself fortunate to be part of the Hospice team over the past years and take much pleasure in seeing it continue to grow and develop in its services to the local community. There is never a quiet moment in HR and no two days are ever the same, it’s part of what I love about my job, so varied and requires juggling different priorities and challenges everyday. Part of my role is to provide HR advice and support to all areas of the organisation and includes strategic human resource planning through to the recruitment, selection and development of people including our wonderful volunteers”.
Sarah Stevenson, Director of Corporate Services
Sarah Stevenson joined the Hospice in May 2015 as the Quality & Improvement Manager and has recently been appointed as Director of Corporate Services, where she is responsible for responsive and proactive purchasing, IT , financial management and quality assurance, whilst at the same time ensuring our buildings have planned maintenance and development. Sarah was previously a self-employed consultant and predominantly worked for Children’s Hospices where she brings ample business experience, prior to that Sarah worked across Cheshire and Warrington in a similar role managing a £15m budget.
Roles within the Hospice
- To deliver consistently high standards, we rely upon a dedicated and professional team of staff and volunteers. Each role is valued, and vital in continuing our services. The Hospice includes the following teams:
- Catering staff – producing high-quality, nutritious meals for the people in our care
- Fundraisers – building relationships with individual, community and corporate supporters
- Marketing & Communications – ensuring that we educate and promote the work of the hospice to our communities and stakeholders
- Gardeners – all of our gardeners are volunteers – that’s blooming marvellous!
- Housekeeping staff – ensuring the Hospice is clean and organised
- Medical – qualified doctors providing expert patient care
- Nursing staff – provide dedicated nursing care as part of a team
- Health Care Support workers – providing quality patient care
- Social workers – supporting our patients and their families, friends and carers
- Spiritual care – providing non-denominational spiritual support to patients, families, friends and carers
- Therapists – offering a range of traditional and complementary therapies for patients and carers
- Volunteers – supporting every aspect of the organisation, from patient and family care to retail and fundraising, our 300+ volunteers are indispensable to the running of the Hospice
- Administrative staff – play a vital part in facilitating care
- Counsellors – who provide counselling for our patients and their families as well as for the bereaved in the community, including children aged 3-18 years old
- Retail and Warehouse – working within our communities to raise donations through the sales of donated goods
- HR Support and Volunteer Support – We have approximate 450 staff and volunteers involved in delivering our services – that’s a lot of co-ordination!
- Maintenance team – our friendly and organised team that keep us going.
- To find out how you can get involved as a volunteer, visit our Volunteer page.
- To view current job opportunities, go to our Job Opportunities page.